Gallery – Press – Publisher
The Donation from the Franz Larese and Jürg Janett Foundation
postponed to 2021
Erker-Galerie, run by Franz Larese (1927–2000) and Jürg Janett (1927–2016), exemplifies the development of St. Gallen into a cosmopolitan city in which European art history was made in the 1960s and 1970s. Exponents of modernism such as the Art Informel movement and mixed-media paintings were the basis of their work as gallerists, which culminated in pioneering exhibitions and a wealth of editions and books. The idea of creating dialogues between important writers and contemporary artists was extremely fruitful. The circle of leading artists and intellectuals associated with Erker-Galerie is legendary—from Heidegger (Martin Heidegger and Eduardo Chillida: Die Kunst und der Raum, 1969) to Laxness (Halldór Laxness and Asger Jorn: Die Geschichte vom teuren Brot, 1972) and Brodsky (Joseph Brodsky and Antoni Tàpies: Römische Elegien, 1993). The gallery, press, and publishing house formed a triumvirate that combined financial success with broad artistic impact and intellectual brilliance.
The history of Erker-Galerie has been carefully archived and documented in fantastic photographs by Franziska Messner-Rast and Franz Larese. The exhibition focuses on this important legacy and moves follows the guideline of the private collection that the Franz Larese and Jürg Janett Foundation donated to the Kunstmuseum St. Gallen in 2015.
Curator: Roland Wäspe